My job demands me to be part of interview panels every now and then and the following are some of the interesting incidents that i have come across during the process of conducting interviews.
1. Recently, i completed the technical interview for a candidate and asked him what is his salary expectation and he replied it all depends on your company's policy. I was surprised and asked him what policy he is referring to. He said if your company sends me onsite in 6 months my CTC will be Rs.________ and if you send me onsite between 6 months to 1 year, it will be Rs.______. If you send me after an year and before he could complete that sentence, i said "My HR will get in touch with you".
2. One candidate had quoted his PAN number as part of personal details and i asked him why. He said, thats his "id proof".
3. This candidate took me for a philosophical ride. I asked him what is the difference between smoke testing and sanity testing and he said "Sir, testing is testing. people call it by different names. End of the day, they are all the same and it's just that we testers are ignorant of it that we call them by different names. I thought he was about to say "You can call Krishna as Vasudeva, Nandagopala, Venugopala, Damodhara, Kesava, Madhava but he is the same". By the time i finished the interview, i felt like having had a conversation with Swami Sukhabodhanda.
4. This candidate had faked his experience and i found it. I asked him for which bank he tested the application and he replied "எங்க வீட்டாண்ட ஒரு பேங்க் இருக்கு. அதுக்கு தான் டெஸ்ட் பண்ணேன்".
5. I asked a candidate, "Where are you put up?" and he said "In my house".